The brain is believed to be the most complex entity that is present in your body. This part of the body has some fascinating facts that can make you wonder about the capabilities of this lightweight organ of your body. Is your brain really a lightweight organ? Find out how much does a human brain weigh in the Top 10 Brain Facts.
Here we are going to reveal some of the surprising facts related to the human brain that you have never heard of. Just go through them and get amazed that how much powerful our brain is.
How Much Does A Human Brain Weigh?
- Did you know that your brain is only about 2% of your body’s total weight? An average human brain weighs around 3 pounds only (1,300-1,400 g). It is very less in weight but has the most power in your body. An average human brain is approximately 140 mm wide and 167 mm long.
- While the weight of your brain is way to less but your brain consumes almost 20% of the energy generated by your body. The brain consumes this much energy because it has to maintain brain cells while some of the energy is consumed in fueling the nerves.
- An average brain can come up with almost 50,000 thoughts in a day. However, surprisingly 70% of the thoughts are believed to be negative. This shows that the potential for the brain to think is great. We just need to switch our thinking in a positive way.
- The weight of an average brain is roughly around 3 pounds. In your whole body, your brain is considered to be the fattiest organ. This is due to the fact that the dry weight of the human brain comprises of 60% fat.
- Astonishingly, fats play an important role in the brain and is a vital part of the brain cells. Almost 25% of the cholesterol in your body is present in your brain. Cholesterol is believed to be the vital part of the brain without which the brain cells cannot live and may eventually die.
- The brain comprises of nearly 73% water. Merely 2% dehydration can affect your cognitive thinking skills and abilities. It can also result in loss of attention and memory loss.
- With every passing second, there are more than 100,000 chemical reactions that occur in the brain.
- Oxygen is essential for a healthy brain. Lack of oxygen to the brain cells can result in brain damage. It can also trigger paralysis attack and illness or other life-threatening cases. That is why exercise is deemed to be a healthy way to provide fresh oxygen to the brain cells.
- The exact amount of brain cells is not yet confirmed but it is estimated that there are nearly 86 billion brain cells.
- Brain is able to perform multitasking projects. But the back and forth thinking can result in less productivity as the brain gets fatigued.
Your mind has the ability to control the whole body. The brain is the organ that transmits information from one part of the body to the other. It also controls the five senses i.e. touch, smell, sight, taste and hearing. Any damage to any part of a brain can result in difficulties in carrying out the day to day activities in life.